Chemical Peels have been used for decades to revitalize and resurface skin. They involve applying a chemical solution to remove the damaged outer layers of the skin and reveal a younger, clearer, more radiant complexion. Chemical Peels are commonly performed on the face, chest and hands.
Chemical Peels offer a highly effective method to treat a variety of skin problems, including:
- Fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes
- Uneven skin tone and texture
- Dull, flat, “tired-looking” skin
- Brown spot and age spots
- Discoloration from acne
- Sun damage and premature aging
Types of Chemical Peels
The common name for a deeper peeling solution of resorcinol and lactic and salicylic acids, The Jessner’s solution is layered on the skin to treat pigmentation, acne, acne scarring and other skin irregularities. Aggressive peeling and occasional crusting forms within two to four days of the peel. Redness and swelling may last a week or more. Results are visible with new, clearer skin within seven to 10 days, but redness or other pigment changes may persist for several weeks.
Alpha hydroxy acids are applied for two to five minutes (or more) to slough away the upper layer of dead skin cells as well as penetrate into the upper layers of the dermis to soften fine lines, promote a rosy glow, encourage better penetration of other skin-care products or even dry an acne flare up. Glycolic peels are no-downtime procedures, with mild redness or irritation the only likely after effect.
The SkinMedica peel system is a comprehensive peel system made up of three unique peels of varying strength, for targeted degrees of skin exfoliation customized to the needs of the patient.
- Illuminize peel: This is the lightest peel in the SkinMedica line. Appropriate for patients looking for a quick brightening for a special event. Nicknamed the “party peel” this peel restores brightness and radiance to the skin.
- Vitalize peel: This mid-range treatment is suitable for all skin types. This treatment is great for patients looking to improve mild to moderate skin conditions such as sun damage, fine lines, and wrinkles, acne, and acne scarring.
- Rejuvination peel: This peel is best for patients looking to significantly improve the appearance of moderate to sever skin conditions such as sun damage, wrinkles, uneven skin tone and acne scarring. The peel may be suitable for all skin types.